Sunday, May 29, 2005

COLLISION COURSE



I've got a few more war wounds to for my collection.

I was up at daft o'clock this morning for the latest Summer Series Duathlon -- a 6km run followed by a 25km cycle.

I put in a good performance (for me) in the run and slogged along 15 miles of country lanes on the bike.

The finishing line was in sight.

The final stretch of the course was a long, steep downhill zig-zag.

I folded myself down into an aerodynamic tuck and thundered down the hill.

And hit a patch of scree near the curb.

And lost control.

And flew over the handlebars, dive-bombing into a bush on the side of the road.

Thankfully I suffered nothing more serious than cuts and bruises and, most importantly, the bike escaped unscathed.

It was infuriating, however, to watch riders I'd been holding off for miles whizz past me as I fought to get my chain back on.

I lost about a minute but I managed to get back in the saddle and complete the race -- thus avoiding the ignominy of seeing the words DNF next to my name.

When I got home I checked the data on my race computer.

I was doing 32mph when I came off.

Serves me right for breaking the speed limit.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about your accident and glad you are OK. Have you ever considered taking it a bit easy? You have nothing to prove to any any couch potato with two legs.

Maybe the accident happened because you got up at "daft o'clock"..LOL that is a new expression for this side of the pond.

Chancy (Georgia USA)

7:22 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Hopefully, after getting up at "daft o'clock" and racing you checked your computer to find out it was now "beer o'clock" and time for a refreshing beverage!!!!!
Don't worry, it won't ruin your good looks, mainly because I inherited all of them!!!!
Glad the bike remained intact. Have you considered buying one of Garmins other products, a GPS which could have warned you there was a bloody zig-zag coming!!! I'll sell you one next time you're over!!

Take care

Steve

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home