Monday, May 05, 2003


Aileen returns to London and I’m reminded of all the things that are worst about the current situation.

The fact that she’s living in London and I’m living in Cardiff while I recuperate.

The fact that we seem to spend most of our time saying goodbye to one another at train stations at the moment.

The fact that my London flat – my home -- is out of bounds until I get my artificial leg because it has too many steps and narrow doorways and is unsuitable for wheelchairs and crutches.

The fact that I can’t just jump into a car and go where I want, when I want.

People keep reminding me that I’ll be “up in no time,” that “this is only temporary,” that I’ll be “back on my feet before I know it.” That may be the case, but right now it doesn’t feel that way. I feel stuck, frustrated, going nowhere.

Discuss "Beyond Northern Iraq"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home