Wednesday, October 01, 2003

The bags are piled up in the hallway. The equipment's been checked to make sure it's all working. Tomorrow, I get back out on the road, heading off to Rome for a 3 night assignment.

I'd be the first to admit that the Extraordinary Summit of Heads of State and Government of the European Union for the opening of the Intergovernmental Conference isn't the sort of news story that sets the pulse racing. In fact, the EU's Draft Constitutional Treaty is just the kind of document I turn to when I'm having trouble sleeping at night. But symbolically, heading off to cover the conference is hugely significant for me.

After the trauma of the past six months, just being able to get my kit together, board a plane, and get on with my working life is a massive personal achievement.

In the days after the operation my biggest fear was that someone would come up to me and say "see that desk over there? Get behind it and don't come out until you're 65." The thought of being stuck in an office for the rest of my career filled me with fear. Thankfully, though, it hasn't happened.

So although the IGC story may be boring, the fact I can go to Rome to cover it outweighs everything else.

I'll update when I get there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home