Friday, May 20, 2005

"Prisoners of war must at all times be protected, particularly against acts of violence or intimidation and against insults and public curiosity." Article 13, Geneva Convention relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War



Double standards abound following the Sun's publication of photos of Saddam Hussein sporting a fetching pair of Y-fronts.

Freddie Ljungberg he is not.

When Saddam was captured in December 2003, the Department of Defence released its own video showing the dishevelled dictator undergoing a medical check-up.

Yet when unauthorised snaps of Saddam washing his socks, walking in a prison yard and sleeping in his cell leak out, the DoD suddenly develops a concern for his Geneva Convention rights.

They can't have it both ways.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the Sun did this for the greater public good and to demoralise the Iraqi insurgents. Why dont they give the pictures profit to some war charities and so show the world that commerical greed was not a motive ?

It is so sad that the Geneva convention is being so blatantly undermined by the Anlgo-American alliance. Dont they realise that the convention not only protects allied soldiers but also civillians?

Sally.

8:12 PM  
Blogger hiwa said...

hi there, just saw your blog, and the only reason I am interested is because you were with my colleague(as I am an interpreter, too) when he died helping you guys getting rid of that Monster!That day I was feeling like I had lost my brother although I never knew him!

Just read your bio,very interesting (including the mine accident) now YOU can feel how painful it is to lose an organ, let alone almost a tenth of your nation!

I hope just because he was a "president" mind that he was NOT a legal one, we dont forget what he did and just because Anglo-American alliance has negatives we forget all his crimes against us (Kurds)and in general Iraqis,Iranians and Kwaitis!

I will be reading your views

12:30 AM  
Blogger hiwa said...

i thought he worked as interpreter,too! nevermind

I loved the article about Halabja

http://stuarthughes.blogspot.com/2003_03_01_stuarthughes_archive.html
the 15th Anniversary..

One thing attracts my attention so much is, why do you refrain from using the word Kurdistan, instead of those three or four word clauses? is it dangerous somehow?
I will be delighted if I could get an honest response, what is Northern Iraq?!!

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home