Friday, March 03, 2006

I've just finished Richard Askwith's excellent Feet in the Clouds, a hugely readable journey through the world of fell running.

It set me wondering; there are amputee marathoners, sky divers and mountaineers -- so what about amputee fell runners?

A Google search failed to turn much up.

It's hardly surprising. I hate running on rough terrain because my prosthesis can't return energy from the ground so effectively and it's difficult to maintain a steady rhythm. Fell running with an artificial leg would be an absolute nightmare.

But my Google search did turn up some interesting information -- a California-based non-profit organisation called Adaptive Action Sports, which "creates and promotes opportunities for individuals with permanent physical disabilities to participate in action sports and the art and music scene that follows them."

I got in touch with AAS and got a commission to write a piece about them for BBC Sport Online.

You'll be able to read the finished article here first in about a week's time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home