Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Further indications this morning that my planned trip to Iraqi Kurdistan later this month may have to be postponed.

The New York Times, quoting an Iraqi security official, claims that "as many as 200 members of Ansar al-Islam have congregated in Erbil, where they receive support from guerrilla cells in other parts of the country."

I suspect Ansar were far more active last time I was in Northern Iraq than they are now -- and I'm certainly very keen to return to Kifri, where my accident happened -- but even so, all non-essential travel to the area may be ruled out if the situation on the ground deteriorates further.

Our security advisers will have the final say. They think the chances of the assignment going ahead are currently 60:40 in our favour.


Post a Comment

<< Home