Tuesday, March 30, 2004

OI, UNCLE HO -- MINE'S A PINT, AND A HALF FOR THE LADY



Since I've moved house, my local is now the Drayton Court, just a short stagger from BNI Towers.

Someone once told me a great urban myth about the place but this evening I did some research and found out it's actually true.

In 1919, a Vietnamese man called Nguyen Van Thanh worked in the Drayton as a cook.

After adopting the name Ho Chi Minh, or "He Who Enlightens," he returned to Vietnam in 1941 and declared the nation's independence from France.

He led the Viet Minh independence movement in 1941, directed successful military actions against the Japanese occupation forces and later against the French bid to reoccupy the country and became President of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (North Vietnam) in 1954.

I can't believe it. Ho Chi Minh worked in my local.

The Drayton also featured in the final story of the last season of Doctor Who to be made by the BBC.

Strange but apparently true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home