Sunday, October 24, 2004

I Don't Do Fiction.

I can't remember the last novel I read. I just don't have the time or the patience anymore. Plus, there's so much great non-fiction I want to read that I never seem to get as far as that Great Undiscovered Novelist from Azerbaijan that everyone's raving about.

Sadly, three years of studying English and American Literature sucked the joy out of reading anything non-factual. I'd rather climb Mount Kilimanjaro with a hangover than tackle a 800 page tome.

So I have nothing but pity for the Economist's literary editor Fiammetta Rocco. She's just surfaced, blinking like a mole, after wading through 50,000 pages of fiction in her role as a Booker Prize judge.

Rocco got through 132 books in 147 days -- an experience she likens to "taking a course in kick-boxing."

She's got some stamina.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"three years of studying English and American Literature...I'd rather climb Mount Kilimanjaro with a hangover than tackle a 800 page tome."

You would, Mr. Blogger?

Claiming any mountain or walking in the woods is much better than spending time with some fictions.

2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Sadly, three years of studying English and American Literature...I'd rather climb Mount Kilimanjaro with a hangover than tackle a 800 page tome."

You would, Mr. Blogger?

Claiming any mountain or walking through any woods would be much fun than reading some fictions. And it would be a whole lot of more fun doing it without a hangover :-)

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home