Friday, June 03, 2005

Does Sarah Vowell have the most annoying voice in America?

My Audible subscription pick for this month was her new audiobook Assassination Vacation.

Very bad choice.

While I share her obvious love of the medium of radio, Vowell's voice, with its grating, upward-infecting-at-the-end-of-each-sentence timbre, makes her sound like that overly self-assured, hyper-ambitious English student you hated when you were at university.

Come to think of it, she writes like that overly self-assured, hyper-ambitious English student you hated when you were at university as well. I'm willing to bet she edited the college newspaper.

After 40 minutes of her audiobook I could bear no more.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's no question that Sarah Vowell's voice is, um, an acquired taste. I don't think I would ever buy an audiobook read by her. But in short doses, as in the stories she does for This American Life, her voice can be quite effective. When I saw a live recording in New York of the show that included her, I absolutely loved her presentation of a story that involved her undergoing a goth makeover.

But yeah, beyond 20 minutes or so, not so great.

2:21 AM  
Blogger Elayne said...

So you didn't even care for her in The Incredibles?

4:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home