Friday, November 17, 2006

I'd love to claim it was all my own work, but I'm afraid I'd be lying.

William Robert "Billy Bob" Hughes was born at 0844GMT on Thursday 16th November, weighing 6lb 14oz.

His arrival was without question the most raw, visceral, emotionally draining, at times frightening but ultimately amazing experience I've ever been through.

As I've already said to Aileen, it was harder to go through than losing my leg.

Over 30 hours of labour, she coped with an inner strength and a determination I could barely believe. The gas and air seemed to help -- and even Aileen said it was quite useful as well -- although at the end of it all she admitted she'd probably think twice about natural childbirth next time.

But now it's all over, the most important thing is that we have a strong, healthy son who's perfect in every way. Just lying with him cradled in my arms in the hospital as he snuffled gently next to me was truly magical.

Aileen's still at the hospital getting some help to get his feeding started and hopefully tomorrow we'll all be home. As a family.

There are more photos on the Flickr photostream here.

6 Comments:

Blogger SPIIDERWEBâ„¢ said...

A couple more things from my experience.

My wife decided to "go natural" with no pain relief. After about 5 minutes she was shouting at me for having done this to her and begging for pain killers. I don't blame her for either behaviour.

When my first son was born, the nurse brought him to me to see within about 3 minutes. BIG MISTAKE! His head was shaped like a football or the Saturday Night Live coneheads and he was a mass of bruises and all bloody.

I know not how the woman or the baby survives birth.

1:21 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

He's gorgeous. All three of my children were born 'naturally' (although that was not my idea) so I have enormous respect for both of you. Fortunately being an experienced parent means I don't hand out unwanted advice, and I'm excessively wary of platitudes. Enough to say that you two clearly do good work. All the best... dang. If not a platitude, that was at least a cliche.

3:15 AM  
Blogger R said...

Very many congratulations, Stu. He's beautiful.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Congratulations on the new family member!

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stuart....you will be wonderful mum and dad :)
Congratulations
peppe

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home