Wednesday, September 15, 2004



The Paralympic Team GB presented itself to the media today, expressing hope that they'll equal their medal tally from Sydney four years ago.

Team GB finished second in the medal table in Sydney, with 41 golds, 43 silvers and 47 bronzes.



One of the most successful Paralympians of all time, Tanni Grey-Thompson (above), already has 14 medals from four Paralympic adventures.

But she insisted her best performances were still ahead of her.

"My motivation is still there," she said.

"It's not difficult because I think I haven't hit my best yet. I think I can get better and that's the motivation for me. I don't really think about what I've done."

But Grey-Thompson admitted low spectator numbers could be a problem.

"I do hope people come to watch even if it's just because they couldn't afford tickets for the Olympics," she said.

"Because if there are not big crowds it will be a bit flat.

"Greeks don't have a massive tradition for Paralympic sport and I know they struggle with funding and support so it's going to be difficult."



One of the most remarkable British Paralympians is Isabel Newstead (above), who is taking part in her seventh Paralympics and has won gold medals in swimming, athletics and shooting.

She says disability sport has changed beyond recognition since she began her sporting career.

"When I began competing sport was recreational and training took place on a Saturday afternoon," she told me.

"Now we have people training full-time as semi-professional athletes.

"The standards are rising and rising all the time."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home