Thursday, October 26, 2006

Congratulations to Jack Straw for standing up in the Commons to defend my colleague David Loyn, who risked his life using contacts built up over years of reporting in some of the most dangerous countries in the world to produce an exclusive report from Helmand Province in Afghanistan.

David's report was the very embodiment of what ITN boss David Mannion said following Terry Lloyd's inquest:

"Independent, unilateral reporting, free from official strictures, is crucial; not simply to us as journalists but to the role we play in a free and democratic society."

2 Comments:

Blogger Zorka said...

Thanks God for people such as Straw. I came of age in 1960's America at a time when those of us in college fought for our right to hear both sides of an argument. Unfortunately, the turn of the world over the past years has been to hear only one side of things. This is one of my reasons, living in the United States, why I like to keep abreast of world events by also listening to what Europe and Asia is saying about events that affect me.

Without people like Straw, the black curtain of ignorance and one-sided opinion rule the day. I don't agree with the Taleban and their religious and social philosophy, but at least I have the right to hear what they have to say and make my own better informed opinion.

12:56 PM  
Blogger David Heathfield said...

What a fantastic piece of journalism this is, worthy of praise in every single way. I recently had the pleasure of meeting David Loyn at the Frontline Club and I was extremely impressed by him, and I'm also enjoying reading his book on the Frontline cameramen.

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home