Saturday, August 07, 2004

I AM NOT A NUMBER, I AM A FREE MAN



If you’ve ever stayed in a youth hostel, you’ll have a pretty good idea of what it’s like to stay in the Olympic Games Media Village.

About 900 hacks, me included, are being put up at the Selete complex, a javelin throw away from the main Olympic Stadium.

The check in procedure resembles that of a prison – x-ray scanners, searches, and all sharp implements confiscated. The security guards let me keep my shoelaces but I couldn’t be trusted with my Swiss Army Knife. It was taken away for safe keeping by one of the ubiquitous jolly volunteers, all of whom are dressed in shorts and brightly coloured polo shirts. The fear of sharp instruments continued when I got to the restaurant – all knifes and forks are made from wood or plastic.

The rooms are comfortable, if spartan. One single bed. One wardrobe. One desk. One chair. One TV. Little else. I was surprised to find that they weren’t screwed to the floor, although this may have just been an oversight by the architects.

If Guantanamo Bay was taken over by Walt Disney it’d be a lot like Selete. All that’s missing are the orange jumpsuits.

I’ve nicknamed the place “Camp Delta.”

The modern Olympics is, of course, as much about sponsorship as sport – and the influence of the marketing men is everywhere to see. The only soft drinks available in the Village are those manufactured by the Coca-Cola company. The only beer on tap in the media bar is Heineken, which tastes like piss. The only credit card accepted at the on-site shops is Visa and every television is made by Panasonic.

I’ve heard a rumour, so far unconfirmed, that one journalist had a bottle of mineral water taken off him at the entrance to the International Broadcast Centre because it wasn’t Avra, the grandly-titled “Official Water of Athens 2004.” What I can confirm, because I’ve just encountered it, is that taking photos inside the complex is prohibited – which would seem to make a mockery of the term Media Village.

For the next month, this will be home.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness, this place/hotel sounds so gloomy. But since "all knifes and forks are made from wood or plastic" then it is safe.

5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home